3.04.2013

using my time wisely

Happy Monday, all.
This weekend was my very first weekend working again. While my entire body hurt by the end of my  shift and I was beyond exhausted (I'm definitely not used to having to stand for 8 hours), I really enjoyed it and everyone I work with is really nice! Now that I'm working again, I'm really pushing myself to better manage my time. Because of this I've also started reflecting on some of the things I do on a daily basis that really enrich my day and a few things that I could do without that end up dragging me down a bit. 



Let's start with the good stuff:

  • Eating a healthy and delicious breakfast. There used to be so many mornings where I wouldn't even eat breakfast and I would sit in class and slowly start to starve. I realized that this was not a good way to start the day and I wasn't able to focus the way I needed to. Waking up and enjoying a bowl of steel-cut oats with berries, soy yogurt with granola, or a waffle topped with strawberries just sets the mood for the rest of the day. I feel energized and ready to conquer the day!
  • Long evening walks with Joel and Monk. While we need to start walking Monk way more often, especially since the weather is starting to warm back up, on evenings when we do go for a walk it's always so nice. It's a great chance for Joel and I to connect and catch up on the day and Monk just loves it. We all come home relaxed and smiling. 
  • Working out regularly. When I work out on a regular basis my entire life is just better. I'm in a better mood, I eat cleaner, I have more energy, and I don't get as stressed out about things. I also feel more confident and comfortable in my own skin, which is always a good thing!
  • Flossing. I have a weird obsession with feeling/being clean. I can't really explain why flossing is so enriching to me, but it is. :)
  • Picking up after myself. It's crazy how something so easy can be so fulfilling. I love when I spend an entire day cleaning and a week later the house still looks great! It's just so much easier to study, relax, sleep, and hang out in a clean and tidy space. It makes me smile just thinking about a clean house. 
  • Cooking up a storm. I never thought I would say this, but cooking really has become therapy for me. It's right up there with cleaning. Since starting this blog I've really pushed myself to become more knowledgeable and serious about cooking and food - and now have a sincere love for both. I also love making a great dinner for Joel and having it ready for him when he gets home from work. :) I guess I'm a little old fashioned in that way but I think it's really special and a great way to show him that I appreciate everything he does for our little family. It just makes me feel good inside.
Here are a few daily habits I could do without:
  • Watching so much TV. I'm very open about my addiction to the boob tube. I just love watching tv and totally vegging out. It's how I unwind. However, since I have such limited time now, I would love to spend more time reading or being creative. I've started to realize how much time I waste in front of the television. It's pretty pathetic. 
  • Going to bed late. This is so hard for me. I wake up almost every morning kicking myself because I stayed up way later than I should have the night before. I've just always been a night owl and going to bed before 10 o'clock seems so weird to me, but I know my body and mind would appreciate a few extra hours of beauty sleep.
  • Spending too much time on the internet. I have gotten way too used to checking my phone every two minutes, checking facebook and instagram when I wake up, before I fall asleep, and every few minutes in between, and so on. It's such a gross addiction and I really want to make an effort to tone it down a bit.
  • Procrastinating. I could win an award for procrastinating. Honestly. While I get the work done, there are so many times when I wish I would have just started a project, paper or assignment earlier so I wouldn't have to stress out trying to get it done last minute. I really need to work on this!
So there ya have it. Just a few thoughts on my daily life.
What daily habits/routines enrich your life and what are a few you could do without? Think about it.

I know that not having as much extra time for homework and studying will be an adjustment, but I know with a few changes here and there I'll totally be able to maximize the time that I do have!
xo
*image from pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment