3.15.2013

Happy Hour: Strawberry Mojitos

Hello!
Happy Friday, ladies and gents. 
I hope you're as excited as I am that the weekend is finally here. Party time!
Since it already feels like Summer here in the Vegas Valley, my weekend beverages will include ice cold beer, mojitos, and lots of water (gotta stay hydrated!). 
Mojitos are my favorite warm weather cocktail. I fell in love with them while we were on the beach in California, and every time I have one it takes me back to that place. 
It's heavenly.
I decided to mix it up today and throw in some fresh strawberries. It added a refreshing and flavorful twist to the classic mint recipe I usually make. If you aren't feeling the strawberries, slice up and muddle in some fresh cucumber. So good!
Oh and in order to keep this recipe low-cal, I substituted honey for simple syrup.  
I highly recommend that you do the same!

Low-Cal Strawberry Mojito

::ingredients::
- 1/2 lime, cut into 4-6 wedges
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (chopped)
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tsp (or more if you'd like) honey, warmed
- 2 ounces rum
- 4 ounces club soda
- Fresh mint sprig (optional)
- Lime wedge (optional)

::instructions::
- Fill a martini shaker with 1 cup ice. Add lime wedges, lime juice, strawberries, and mint. Muddle lime, strawberries, and mint with a pestle or a long spoon until mint is well-bruised and fragrant.
- Combine honey, rum, and club soda; stir gently to dissolve honey. Add to muddled mixture; stir until mixture is well-chilled. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with mint and lime if desired. 
*I didn't strain mine, I just dumped everything into a glass. It's good either way!

(serving size: 1 mojito/calories: 160)

Have a great weekend, love bugs!
xo
*recipe adapted from health.com

No comments:

Post a Comment