12.13.2012

power salad

Hi ya skinny bitches.
Today I am celebrating the end of another semester. Finals are over and I can breathe again. 
Since I love an excuse to go out, a hot date with my favorite guy and a few cocktails are on the agenda for tonight. I've earned it. :) 
Anyway, besides being excited about the semester ending, I'm also really excited about how great I feel lately! Since becoming a vegetarian, cutting out most dairy products (still can't seem to give up my froyo), eating mostly whole foods, and working out again, I've never felt better. My energy levels are through the roof, my skin has cleared up, I never have heartburn anymore, I've lost weight (officially a size 4 again!), and I don't have to stare at a dead carcass on my plate! Life is good. 
For those of you who are also aspiring to eat clean, this salad is a great addition to your recipe collection. It's full of flavor, loaded with nutrients, and it's so filling. It works great for lunch or dinner. I will warn you though, this recipe makes a lot of salad. If you're making this for 2, feel free to cut the recipe in half!

Kale, Edamame, and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
serves: 3-4

::Ingredients::
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 1/2 cups edamame beans (cooked and cooled)
- 3 cups finely chopped kale (ribs removed)
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and either sliced or diced
For Vinaigrette:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sugar 
- 2 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt 
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste

::Instructions::
- To make dressing: put olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, basil, and salt in blender (or food processor). Blend (or process) for about 15 seconds, set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss quinoa, kale, and edmame together; add lemon vinaigrette (I like to set aside a little of the dressing for when I serve the salad) and toss so that the salad is fully coated. 
- Place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to soak in.
- Before serving, add the rest of the vinaigrette and toss salad again. Add tomatoes, onion, and avocado. 
*Enjoy!
*recipe adapted from ambitiouskitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment