12.03.2012

mashed

Happy Monday, folks!
Sorry I fell short a couple of posts last week, I decided to take a break from the internet and live a little. Now that I've reminded myself of what "real life" is like, it's back to the internet world for me! I'm so much cooler online anyway. :) 
For today's post I thought I would share with you a delicious side dish that's an easy substitution for mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are not something we eat a lot of in our house. In fact, the only time we have mashed potatoes is on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Unless it's a sweet potato, I avoid it. Most potatoes don't have a whole lot of nutrients (unless you're eating the skin) and so consuming the carbs and calories they come with isn't worth it to me. 
I'd rather have some brown rice or whole wheat pasta. 
However, even I get a craving for some mashed taters from time to time, which is exactly what happened the other night. However, instead of mashing up potatoes, I decided to mash up some cauliflower - and it was perfect! The texture of the mashed cauliflower is actually very similar to mashed potatoes, and it totally satisfied my craving. It was just an added bonus that I didn't feel bloated, fat, or guilty after eating two healthy servings. :) 
Give it a try people, seriously.
xo

(i apologize for the lack of picture quality - i promise it tastes better than it looks!!)

Mashed Cauliflower
/Ingredients/
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups  low sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth works too)
- Fresh pepper

/Directions/
- Cut off large stems of the cauliflower and chop up the remaining pieces
- Mash the garlic cloves
- Boil the cauliflower and garlic in broth for 35-40 minutes
- Drain the remaining broth once done
- Place cauliflower in an electric mixer and blend until completed mashed (you can also just use a potato masher and do it the old fashioned way!)
- Top with pepper
- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment