1.01.2013

stuffed peppers

Happy 2013!
I hope all of you had an amazing time celebrating last night and aren't feeling too terrible today. :) I had a very low key night, so I feel fantastic! We went out last night and had a delicious dinner, came home and watched a movie, shared a little new year smooch at midnight, and went to bed. It was perfect. :)
I would also like to add that today is my little sisters 23rd birthday! 
Happy birthday, Sara! I love you!!
Today I have for you a delicious and oh-so-easy dinner recipe. Joel and I are challenging ourselves to a 3 month vegan diet (this excludes our trip to New York, Joel wants pizza and I want Sprinkles cupcakes - sorry to all the vegans I just offended, I never claimed to be perfect). 
Anyway, even if you aren't a passenger on the vegan bandwagon you'll love this dish! 
I pinky promise. 


::Ingredients::
-4 bell peppers (any color), sliced in half stem-to-tip, seeds removed
-1c quinoa, uncooked
-1/2 medium onion, diced
-1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
-1 (4oz) can diced green chiles (don’t drain)
-¼ cup cilantro, minced
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cumin 
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 (28oz) can of enchilada sauce (or make your own - it's easy!)


::Directions::
-Add quinoa and onion to a large saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 5 minutes, cover, turn off heat and let steam 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

 -In the meantime, microwave pepper halves 2-3 minutes to soften slightly. (Prepared this way, the peppers should come out crisp-tender. If you want them crisper, you can omit this step.)
-Pour quinoa/onion mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in black beans, tomato, green chiles and their juices, cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp cumin. If the mixture seems to dry, drizzle in a bit of olive oil (I didn’t need any).
-Pour enchilada sauce into a 9×13″ baking dish. Divide filling among peppers. Nestle stuffed peppers into the enchilada sauce. 
-Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and cook about 5 minutes longer. Serve peppers drizzled with enchilada sauce.
*Garnish with olives, avocado slices, fresh jalapeno, etc.
*Feel free to add cheese to this recipe if you aren't worried about it being vegan. Just sprinkle a cup of your favorite cheese over the peppers before you put them in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment