1.30.2013

clean comfort food

Remember when I said I was finally feeling better? Yeah, I take that back.
I woke up sick and miserable this morning. Gah! Back to square one.
Luckily, I am able to just lay on the couch all day and watch trash television. Which always helps! 
Anyway, enough about that - lets talk about yesterday.
Yesterday ended up being crap. Seriously, just a bad day. By the time Joel got home I was in a horrible mood. Poor guy. :) Luckily, he's the greatest guy in the whole wide world and made me feel better about everything I was struggling with. Thanks, honey. 
Once I was feeling better about life, it was time to make dinner. I was craving comfort food (who doesn't crave comfort food on a bad day?) but wanted to keep it clean. This recipe was perfect and it gave me the opportunity to experiment with a little daiya vegan cheese. The cheese added that comfort element while the veggies and quinoa kept it light and super healthy. Perfection. 
Vegan Southwest Quinoa Bake

::ingredients::
-1 cup quinoa (cooked)
-2 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance brand is the best!)
-1 small onion (diced)
-2 cloves garlic (minced)
-1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper (diced)
-1 or 2 jalapenos (diced)
-1/2 cup cilantro (diced)
-2 medium tomatoes (diced)
-2 small zucchini (diced)
-1 cup corn
-1 (15 oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
-1/2 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp chili powder
-1 lemon (juiced)
-Sea salt (to taste)
-2 cups vegan mozzarella shreds
*if vegan cheese isn't your thing, feel free to use regular cheese.

::instructions::
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Cook quinoa according to package instructions
-Saute the garlic and onions in the vegan butter (just enough to soften them)
-Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl, add the onions when they are done sauteing, stir until well combined
-Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl, stir again
-Add 1/2 cup of the vegan cheese to the bowl, stir again
-Transfer entire bowl into an 8x8 or 8x11 glass baking dish
-Sprinkle the remaining vegan cheese evenly over the top of the dish
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or until cheese is golden and bubbly)
-Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment